WELCOME!

I decided to start this blog to as an avenue for me to be able to post about some of the fun things that I do from time to time. It could be a Car Show revue, what I did on Vacation, what I like about this or that automobile, my experience with a photo shoot, what I have in my Automobilia collection, or whatever I think of at the moment. I hope you like it! All feedback will be appreciated.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"SENNA" The movie

First off, I have to say WOW! This is a great movie.

I had first heard that it was going to be playing in San Francisco at the Embarcadero Cinema when received an invite through the San Francisco Formula 1 Group. It was scheduled to play over the weekend, but on Thursday evening their was a pre-screening with Asif Kapadia, the Director. I just couldn't resist. So I purchased 2 tickets. Then I remembered I was supposed to be up around 3:30 am the following morning to be at a friend house so we could leave by 5:00 am and head down to Monterey for Concorso Italiano. But, I decided I could do it anyways. And, well I am very glad I did.

I left my house around 5:00 PM on Thursday and met my wife at a friends house so I could use her car to go to the city. She didn't want to go with me, so I had invited a great friend, Price. I had met Price while working in San Francisco at The Ferrari Store. I got the car around 6:30 or so and off I went. I managed to get to Embarcadero Center around 8:00 PM, parked the car, and up stairs to the theater. I had gotten there a little early. Only about a dozen viewers had shown so far. Then in walks a familiar face. Paul, the SCCA Start/Finish Flag Man. I had met him back in 2008 at the Rolex Historics when Mario Andretti was running the Lotus 79. Paul had some of Marios race used gloves that he was wanting to get signed. Well he succeeded at that. Now back to Senna. I ended up talking with Paul, well more like Paul talking most of the time, and sitting with him and Price during the film. After another short bit of chatting, it was time to start the film. It was introduced by Peter Habicht of the SFF1 Club. From beginning to end, I was truly amazed at what I was watching.

Now I need to take a step back. For me I just had to watch this movie as I was a late bloomer to the Formula 1 scene. I didn't become a fan until mid 2003. Why so late? I never had the chance to watch it on TV or see it live. Then when planning a trip to Italy, I had hoped to be able to adjust the schedule so I could be in Monaco for the race. But we were to be in Rome that weekend. So, when we drove through Monaco 2 weeks prior to the race, being in such awe, and driving the road in which the coarse is part of, I realized that seeing where the greatest drivers have raced for so many years, I just couldn't wait to get home and upgrade my satellite package in order to be able to watch it. I have always been a Ferrari enthusiast, but never into racing. But all it took was planning a trip to Italy and I just ended up becoming a fan of the sport. The more I learned about the sport, the more interested I became. I learned about some of the greats of the past. Including Ayrton Senna. Hearing little, but very interesting. I even have a book about him that for some reason I have never read. Now that I have seen the film, I will definitely be sure I read it.

Now back to the film. The way it was done was something of beauty. I just wish that it had been longer. But, thanks to Asif Kapadia, we were all told as to why it was the length it was. After a long Q&A we finally went out to the lobby to get a poster. Then Asif came out and signed them. It was pretty cool. I did manage to get a iPhone shot with him. I'll post it when I can. But as far as the film. GO SEE IT! You will not be disappointed. F1 fan or not. I would like to say more, but I will leave that open to those that have seen it, or hopefully will soon see it.

If you would like to see the Q&A, Thanks to Rahul of the Golden Gate Lotus Club for the 50+ minutes he was able to capture on his iPhone. - http://youtu.be/fgvHzjNfozE
I managed to meet him as well while being stuck in the parking garage at 1:30 AM.
Asif Kapadia signing my movie poster
Asif Kapadia and Me
Film Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment