WELCOME!

I decided to start this blog to as an avenue for me to be able to post about some of the fun things that I do from time to time. It could be a Car Show revue, what I did on Vacation, what I like about this or that automobile, my experience with a photo shoot, what I have in my Automobilia collection, or whatever I think of at the moment. I hope you like it! All feedback will be appreciated.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

MOTO GP/AMA 2011 MAZDA RACEWAY LAGUNA SECA

Well it was another awesome weekend of volunteering down at the track. I headed down on Thursday after I got out of class and got there around 3:00 pm. I got everything unloaded and did some walking around for a bit. I went over to the riders.org charity auction to see what was being auctioned off. WOW! there was some sweet items that went to some very lucky buyers. I was able to get a few autographs as the riders came out of the auction. I had my 2011 Tickets Advertising poster signed by Alvaro Bautista, Cal Crutchlow, and Colin Edwards. I was also able to get a photo with Colin. Then I decided to just relax for the night.

The next morning it was up at 5:00 am and ready by 6:00 for a meeting of assignments. I was posted at center gate as usual. It's a great place to be working. All the AMA riders coming in and out all weekend was cool. I took the opportunity to talk to a few of them over the weekend. Specifically I spoke to Josh Herrin and Austin DeHaven. Two great riders with lots of potential to go nowhere but up. The other great thing about working the center gate was that Tommy Hayden was right there. I was able to meet quite a few riders over the weekend. This is why I love being there. The memories I'll have for the rest of my life are worth more than a signature.

To continue with Friday, I worked the Fan Pit Walk and I was able to get up and close to some of the best bikes in the world. But not too close. I don't want to overstep my bounds. I left my camera in the trailer and just used my iPhone all weekend. Kind of a rule for this event for those of us in the paddock crew. All business, no interference. It kind of sucks, but I have been dealing with it every year since 2008 and it's not an issue that bother me. Getting to be in the middle of it all is worth it to me. also on Friday was the use of the Rev Limiter Zone for the fans along the Cold Pits from Center gate up to Start/Finish. I was able to talk with some fans that were more than happy to be that close to the action. The other cool thing is this - No other track on the calendar for Moto GP has paddock passes for the fans to get so close to the riders. I think that's an awesome benefit for the fans. No wonder we get fans from all over the world at this event. All I can say is - Thanks for coming! Meeting those that I have met have been great experiences for me. More memories for me to remember.

Saturday was a great day as well. More of the same stuff as was happening on Friday. The only difference was I was pulled away to do a different assignment for about an hour. Can't say where, but it did include being close to the motorhomes and team rooms. I didn't see much though. When I was done with the assignment, I headed out and decided to spend about 5-10 minutes watching the fans in this area. What a happy bunch of fans they were. No photos, no signatures once again, just more visual memories. In the afternoon I was able to watch the AMA Pro America SuperSport race in the Cold Pits on the jumbotron. Seeing somewhat of a local rider, Elena Myers get up to 2nd place was awesome. She finished in 5th. When I say local, she practices about 20 minutes away from where I live and lives about 30 minutes away. Once the race was over it was time to play guard at Parc Ferme. After it was all done for the day, it was time to relax. Hanging out where we always do all weekend at the end of the day. I ended up talking for a bit to Sabastio Ferreira of whom finished 10th in the days race, and Jett Chandler since they had come to hang out with the crew. After a little bit it was time to crash.

Once again, on Sunday it was up at 5:00 am. A long fun day was ahead. It was great! Watching the E-Power  bikes run was interesting, and quiet. Then the AMA Daytona SportBike race. Once again I was watching the big jumbotron from the Cold Pits. I was rooting for Josh Herrin, he was kicking some serious butt, and then something happened. Not sure what, but I've never seen a rider so bummed out. I felt so bad for him. But, he kept his head up and realized, there's always the next race.

In the afternoon it was what everyone had come out for. The MotoGP World Championship race. Being in the middle of it all once again on the pit wall watching everyone come out and get ready was once again a priveledge I will never forget. Then the race came! Watching the warm up lap and the start of the race from the pit wall was absolutely awesome.. Then it was over to cold pits to watch it on the jumbotron. What a great race. 35 laps later it was time to get the fencing up for the Fan Invasion for the Podium ceremony. Being on the corner of Parc Ferme as I was last year was just something that is as rare as experience come. Being there when the Honda team came to congratulate Casey Stoner for his win, and Danny Pedrosa for his 3rd place finish. Being so close yet again was a priveledged memory. Then as Mrs. Stoner walked by I made sure to tell her "Congtrats!" She replied with a simple "Thank You!" I thought that was pretty cool. Usually she is so focused on getting away from everyone that she ignores you, but not this time. I was actually surprised. Then I was off yet once again to  do the same duty I needed to do as I did on Saturday. I waited for an hour and then they came through. Firts it was Danny Pedrosa on the back of Brian's Scooter, then about 10-15 minutes later it was Both Casey Stoner and his wife on the back of 2 other scooters. Lorenzo was taken a different route, but once that happened, I was able to go back to the Cold Pits. The whole time I was away, I was watching the AMA Superbike Race on the Trilon. Seeing Tommy Hayden kick some butt was great. I went to Parc Ferme once again to keep the fans away from the bikes. Once there, I saw The Hayden Parents come in for the celebration. I gave mom a hug, shook dads hand and congratulated them both. And then Nicky came in. I shook his hand and congratulated him on his brothers win. I didn't see Roger though. A great family they are too. Once it was all over with, we then had to kick the fans out of the Garage Pits since they were getting in the way of the Teams breaking everything down and boxing it all up in shipping crates. Man what a pain in the butt that can be. The fans were cool for the most part and left. We stayed to keep all the Track workers from coming over the wall to get in the way. I was asked nicely by a few of them to come over and get Alvaro Bautista signature on their bibs since he was sitting on the wall. I also had one girl (Track worker) that was dying to get through to go see Josh Hayes out in the paddock. She asked in such a way that it was hard to refuse. I told her which way to go, and she did just that. Wow! Someone actually listened! Then the day was over and a little bit later it was time to head home. And what a long ride that was.

1 comment: